I haven't really spoken about it much on social media because I'm kind of scared of the backlash that it will inevitably get from some people but since February I have chosen to not eat meat or fish anymore (this will possibly be a separate blog). So since being 'veggie' (I'm putting it in air quotes because I don't like labelling my food choices) I have had such a great time experimenting in the kitchen coming up with recipes that are veggie friendly and still bloody delicious. Growing up, Spag Bol was one of my absolute favourites and definitely a meal I knew I would miss SO I got creating and came up with this amazing alternative.
Whether you are vegan, veggie or still choose to eat meat, this recipe is still banging and I recommend giving it a go!
Pasta (I use whatever I have in the cupboard but it's perfect with spaghetti)
2 cloves of garlic
1 stick of celery
Big handful of broccoli
Glug of olive oil
Tomato passata (I use a ready made jar from Aldi and it is incredible but you could just as easily use tinned tomatoes and some herbs).
Sprinkle of chilli flakes (optional)
Salt and Pepper
1. Pop a pot of water onto boil and once it's bubbling add your pasta and cook according to packet instructions (I always add salt to my pasta water).
2. Meanwhile, start making the bulk of the sauce. Roughly chop all the vegetables and chuck in your food processor with a glug of olive oil, a little salt and pepper and your chilli flakes if using.
3. Whizz the veg until it is all finely diced and resembles the texture shown in the photo below.
4. Heat a splash of olive oil in a frying pan and once hot add your veggie mix to the pan.
5. Fry the veggie mix for about 5 minutes or until it begins to soften.
6. Add your tomato passata and stir through. I use about 300g of sauce but it is personal preference as to how saucy you like your pasta!
7. Make sure the bolognese sauce is all mixed together and hot before draining the pasta and adding to the sauce.
8. Mix it all together before serving up and adding cheese if you like.
This recipe keeps for the next day as well so it's a great one for meal prep if that's your vibe.
Hope you love this Veggie Spaghetti Bolognese as much as I do and as always, if you make it then send me a picture or tag me on Instagram because I love seeing you babes try my recipes!
Love Georgia xx
(Pic 1: mixture consistency)
(Pic 2: passata I use from Aldi)